The project leadership certifies that the APIs in this release are "Eclipse Quality".
Priorities for the Mylyn 3.10 release:
- Improve reusability of the tasks framework in headless contexts.
- UI workflow improvements for the Task Editor.
- Support for the Gerrit 2.6 and 2.7 REST API.
- Support for Hudson 3.1.
All bundles now advertise their SCM location in the manifest to support importing from the SCM repository into workspaces.
- No breaking API changes from 3.0
- API tooling is used to verify that binary backwards compatibility is maintained and no API regressions are introduced.
- APIs are consumed by 3rd parties who provide regular feedback
- All API changes are tracked in Bugzilla on bugs tagged as [api]
- Notes on API additions since Mylyn 3.0: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Mylyn/Porting_Guide
- Connector core APIs are available to standalone environments and do not require an OSGi container
Localization and externalization
- The code base has been externalized for Mylyn 3.1.
- Mylyn is now available for translation via Eclipse Babel.
- Eclipse help content that is generated from the Wiki has been added for Mylyn 3.1.
- The webinar on Mylyn 3.0 is the most viewed webinar on Eclipse Live.
- The web site has been restructured for easier access to Downloads, Support and Getting Started documentation.
- Source code, including the website content, is managed in Gerrit. Code reviews are encouraged for all changes.
- The build system is based on Maven Tycho.
- Tests are executed on a regular schedule on the Eclipse.org Hudson instance Test results and build artifacts are available to anyone.
- Constant stream of stable releases
- Bundled as part of EPP distributions
- Committers work from HEAD, contributors from weekly builds, community from milestone releases
User feedback says it best:
- "..arguably the most productivity-enhancing idea since background compilation and all of the things that enables (namely refactoring and syntax highlighting). I just don't know how I ever was able to read and understand the Eclipse sources (or the sources of other large projects I've worked on) before Mylar, it's just that good.“ (David Orme)
- “I would like to commend you on this very good tool. It has increased my productivity by 3 folds - no kidding...” (Deepak Devje)
- No review for this release, but following accessibility guidelines
User Interface Guidelines
- Focus on consistent visual design, UI elements, icons
Java 1.5 is no longer supported. Java 1.6 is now the minimum required execution environment for all bundles.
- Mylyn 3.10 supports Eclipse 4.4M2, 4.3, and 3.8
- Mylyn 3.9 supports Eclipse 4.3, 4.2, and 3.8
- Mylyn 3.8 supports Eclipse 4.2, 3.8, and 3.7
- Lively community on newsgroup and bug reports
- Articles and blogs by community members
- Contributor documentation on Eclipsepedia
- Lively community on mylyn-dev and bug reports
- Integrator documentation on Eclipsepedia
- Separate mylyn-integrators mailing list removes need for integrators to watch the higher-traffic mylyn-dev
- Specific discussions on “[connector]” and “[bridge]” bug reports, as well as “manage integration with Foobar” bug reports