Mylyn 3.10 Release Review
Reviews run for a minimum of one week. The outcome of the review is decided on this date. This is the last day to make comments or ask questions about this review.
Priorities for the Mylyn 3.10 release:
- Improve reusability of the tasks framework in headless contexts.
- UI workflow improvements for the Task Editor.
- Support for the Gerrit 2.6 and 2.7 REST API.
- Support for Hudson 3.1.
The project leadership certifies that the APIs in this release are "Eclipse Quality".
All bundles now advertise their SCM location in the manifest to support importing from the SCM repository into workspaces.
- No breaking API changes from 3.0
- API tooling is used to verify that binary backwards compatibility is maintained and no API regressions are introduced.
- APIs are consumed by 3rd parties who provide regular feedback
- All API changes are tracked in Bugzilla on bugs tagged as [api]
- Notes on API additions since Mylyn 3.0: http://wiki.eclipse.org/Mylyn/Porting_Guide
- Connector core APIs are available to standalone environments and do not require an OSGi container
Localization and externalization
- The code base has been externalized for Mylyn 3.1.
- Mylyn is now available for translation via Eclipse Babel.
- Eclipse help content that is generated from the Wiki has been added for Mylyn 3.1.
- The webinar on Mylyn 3.0 is the most viewed webinar on Eclipse Live.
- The web site has been restructured for easier access to Downloads, Support and Getting Started documentation.
- Source code, including the website content, is managed in Gerrit. Code reviews are encouraged for all changes.
- The build system is based on Maven Tycho.
- Tests are executed on a regular schedule on the Eclipse.org Hudson instance Test results and build artifacts are available to anyone.
- Constant stream of stable releases
- Bundled as part of EPP distributions
- Committers work from HEAD, contributors from weekly builds, community from milestone releases
User feedback says it best:
- "..arguably the most productivity-enhancing idea since background compilation and all of the things that enables (namely refactoring and syntax highlighting). I just don't know how I ever was able to read and understand the Eclipse sources (or the sources of other large projects I've worked on) before Mylar, it's just that good.“ (David Orme)
- “I would like to commend you on this very good tool. It has increased my productivity by 3 folds - no kidding...” (Deepak Devje)
- No review for this release, but following accessibility guidelines
User Interface Guidelines
- Focus on consistent visual design, UI elements, icons
Java 1.5 is no longer supported. Java 1.6 is now the minimum required execution environment for all bundles.
- Mylyn 3.10 supports Eclipse 4.4M2, 4.3, and 3.8
- Mylyn 3.9 supports Eclipse 4.3, 4.2, and 3.8
- Mylyn 3.8 supports Eclipse 4.2, 3.8, and 3.7
- Lively community on newsgroup and bug reports
- Articles and blogs by community members
- Contributor documentation on Eclipsepedia
- Lively community on mylyn-dev and bug reports
- Integrator documentation on Eclipsepedia
- Separate mylyn-integrators mailing list removes need for integrators to watch the higher-traffic mylyn-dev
- Specific discussions on “[connector]” and “[bridge]” bug reports, as well as “manage integration with Foobar” bug reports