Nebula NatTable 1.0.0 Release Review
Reviews run for a minimum of one week. The outcome of the review is decided on this date. This is the last day to make comments or ask questions about this review.
NatTable is a powerful and flexible SWT table/grid widget that is built to handle very large data sets, real-time updates, dynamic styling, and more.
The NatTable 1.0.0 release incorporates the following features and enhancements:
- The code related to editing was overhauled which caused some API changes. These shouldn't be noticeable unless you implemented your own editors.
- Updated dependency from GlazedLists 1.8 to 1.9
- Updated dependency from Apache POI 3.8 to 3.9
Notable feature additions
- Continuously (smooth) scrolling viewport
- Dialog for managing NatTable states
- Enhancement of edit configuration to support behaviour on commit and editors that open in subdialogs
- Enhancement of the NatCombo to support multiple selection with and without checkboxes in a ComboBoxCellEditor
- Excel like filter row
- RowReorderLayer with corresponding action bindings
- RowHideShowLayer with corresponding action bindings
- GlazedListsRowHideShowLayer to support hiding of rows in a GlazedLists manner
- DetailGlazedListsEventLayer to also transport detail information if a GlazedLists content changes
Numerous bug fixes
The project leadership certifies that the APIs in this release are "Eclipse Quality".
The core NatTable layer architecture has been stable for several years
Continuous integration has been set up. Nightly snapshots are available at http://download.eclipse.org/nattable/snapshots/
P2 update site and JavaDoc are published for each snapshot and will also be published for the 1.0.0 release.
- NatTable is implemented as a very flexible data grid toolkit and comes with a lot of functionality. However the downside to this is that configuring a NatTable instance can be rather complex.
- The above issue is mitigated somewhat by numerous provided examples and a responsive attitude to our community.
- NatTable functionality conforms to the Eclipse UI Guidelines.
- Only missing part is currently the accessibility support which could be added by implementing a special layer for that.
There are no defined standards that NatTable conforms to.
The 'stock' NatTable functionality does attempt to stick to conventions of popular spreadsheet programs (key bindings, etc).
The following talks on NatTable have been presented in the past year:
- EclipseCon Europe 2012 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws9TdGwZkKc
- W-JAX 2012 - http://jaxenter.de/videos/NatTable-Das-High-Performance-Data-Grid
- JAX 2013
- 88 issues and 34 enhancement requests closed
- 35 issues and 26 enhancement requests remain open
- 149 new issues created since 0.9.0
- 62 bugs submitted by non-project members https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/buglist.cgi?emailreporter1=1&list_id=5529522&classification=Technology&emailtype1=notregexp&query_format=advanced&email1=sw%40wahlbrink.eu|stefan.bolton%40googlemail.com|zebbedi%40gmail.com|esp1%40cornell.edu|dirk.fauth%40googlemail.com&component=Core&product=NatTable
Newsgroup/forum actively used by NatTable user community
Dev mailing list used by committers