The project leadership certifies that the APIs in this release are "Eclipse Quality".
The Object Teams Project provides tooling for developing highly modular evolvable software using the language OT/J
- compiler and runtime for OT/J based on the JDT compiler
- comprehensive IDE for OT/J based on the JDT
- extension for executing OT/J code within Equinox
Release 2.2.0 of the Object Teams Development Tooling (OTDT)
- Improved refactoring support
- Extended code formatting support to handle all constructs of OT/J
- No incompatibilities to previous releases
No architectural changes since 2.1.0.
With 9 plug-ins written in OT/J, OTDT is a mature self-application of our own technology.
Bugzilla balance since the 2.1.0 release:
- 66 bugs fixed
- 1 bug closed as duplicate
- 1 bug closed as worksforme
only marginal increase in open issues:
- bugs from 30 to 31
- enhancement request from 13 to 19
Installing OTDT together with other technology that also uses bytecode weaving may currently cause failures in either tool. Efforts have been launched to re-implement the Equinox integration to
- Leverage the new standard WeavingHook
- Establish compatibility with other weavers (notably: from AspectJ).
These efforts will receive special attention during the Luna cycle. By cooperating with the authors of the existing org.eclispe.equinox.weaving bundle we'll try to establish a common platform providing mutual compatibility as best as we can.
No known security issues
Documentation is hosted at http://www.eclipse.org/objectteams/documentation.php, including
- many wiki pages: introductory texts, examples and patterns and much more
- developer guide (also bundled as a help plug-in)
- OT/J language definition
The tool ships with learning material in various forms:
- installable examples
- cheat sheet
- developer guide
- OT/J language definition
Continued improvements, and adoption of upstream improvements.
Nothing has been deprecated.
No standard exists for OT/J, the project provides the only implementation for this technology
- Language definition (OTJLD) is maintained at objectteams.org.
- OTDT 2.2.0 implements OTJLD version 1.3.1
- OT/J is executed on a standard Java virtual machine
OT/Equinox runs on the Equinox framework using ...
- only standard OSGi headers in MANIFEST.MF
- only regular extensions in plugin.xml
- AdapterHooks as supported by Equinox
Installing the OTDT (and any OT/Equinox appl.)
- using only existing p2 mechanisms
- Interaction in Bugzilla
- Activity on the Object Teams newsgroup
- Object Teams blog is integrated on planet.eclipse.org and features Object Teams as well as JDT/Core work
Tight integration with the JDT team
- Some bugs in JDT found during work on Object Teams
- All improvements in the JDT are promptly adopted in Object Teams
Object Teams was/is featured in these presentations:
- Redefining Modularity with Object Teams at Eclipse Day Krakow 2012
- Redefining Modularity and Reuse in Variants—All with Object Teams at JavaOne 2012
- New Refactorings in the Object Teams Development Tooling at Eclipse Demo Camp Kepler, Berlin.
- Object Teams technology was used by one Team during the 2. Eclispe Plug-in Fest Dresden.