This charter was developed in accordance with the Eclipse Foundation Development Process and outlines the mission, scope, organization, and development process for the Eclipse Digital Twin Top Level Project. This document extends the Eclipse Standard Top-Level Charter 1.2, and includes the required content and overrides which follow. It is anticipated that as the standard charter is updated, this charter will incorporate the changes and make adjustments as seen fit by the PMC, and with approval from the EMO and board of directors.
Eclipse Digital Twin Top-Level Project is a collaborative, open source initiative at the Eclipse Foundation fostering the development of reference implementations for the activities driven by the Industrial Digital Twin Association (IDTA).
The Eclipse Digital Twin Top-Level Project provides a space for open source projects to produce implementations and increase adoption of solutions, prototypes and supporting software to build and consume information from digital twins. Standardized metamodels, data models with homogenized semantics and standardized APIs are crucial to ensure interoperability with respect to the information shared and exchanged between digital twins and applications.
The Eclipse Digital Twin Top-Level Project supports the ecosystem orchestrated by the Industrial Digital Twin Association (IDTA).
The Eclipse Digital Twin Top-Level Project supports projects at the Eclipse Foundation focusing on the implementation of solutions, prototypes and supporting software of digital twin technology.
The envisioned efforts include the following areas:
- Modelling and building digital twins based on open standards and technologies
- Modelling and consuming of existing and new open standards for the information provided via digital twins (dictionaries and semantic models/ontologies) components and modules for digital twins
- Infrastructural components for developing and operating digital twins
- Graphical User Interfaces for visualizing and interacting with digital twins
- Backend adapters for gathering data provided via digital twins in standardized formats
- Connection of digital twins with existing semantic dictionaries and ontologies
- Usage of digital twins in federated infrastructures
- Support of static (master data), dynamic (runtime) and behavioural data across the complete life cycle of an asset represented by a digital twin
- Lifecycle Management of digital twins
- Support of different development, testing, deployment, and operation strategies of digital twins
- Integration of digital twins with other technologies
- Development examples and demonstrators of digital twins and tools
Projects under the Eclipse Digital Twin Top-Level Project are permitted to the following licenses either as their Project License or for their Third Party Content, as those terms are defined by the Eclipse Foundation Intellectual Property Policy:
- Apache License, Version 2.0; and
- MIT license
Further licenses may be considered in the future.