The Mosquitto project provides a small server implementation of the MQTT protocol. Small means that:
- Only necessary function is included (conditional compilation can be used to be able to omit unneeded function for a particular application),
- That function is coded as efficiently as possible,
- The externals are as simple as possible for the function provided.
The server has the following features, which are not described in the MQTT specification:
- An MQTT bridge, to allow Mosquitto to connect to other MQTT servers.
- The ability to secure communications using SSL/TLS.
Mosquitto keeps up to date with any MQTT specification changes, for instance the outcome of the OASIS MQTT specification standardization. Mosquitto adheres to the protocol specifications and standards as closely as possible, so it may be used in conformance testing. Any included non-standard behaviour is optional.