openMDM® is described as "an open-source, freely configurable and expandable software building block for the management of measurement data. Based on open standards and open interfaces, its other key features include high re-usability, flexible expandability and universal usability".
openMDM® uses a data storage system that complies with the Open Data Services (ODS) standard of the Association for Standardisation of Automation and Measuring Systems e.V. (ASAM). ASAM is an organisation which was set up by German car manufacturers to standardise data models and interfaces for simulation, measurement and evaluation systems. ODS thereby ensures compatibility of data across different platforms and tools by specifying a consistent format.
This project will provide a web client to allow lightweight access to openMDM® data.
The MDM@WEB project covers components which are required to build a web client to work with data according to the ASAM ODS standard for reading and reporting purposes. It facilitates the interaction with servers following the ASAM ODS standard, file based exchange of (meta-)data, and provides a graphical user interface for browsing and handling the available data. The scope of the project can be summarized as follows:
- Modules for generic interaction with ASAM ODS server back-end
Front-end for navigation in and search for measurement meta-data
- Pre-processing of data
- Rendering of data
Interface for external measurement processing and analysis tools
- Handling of file references to raw measurement data
- Export to compatible formats (atfx, csv)
MDM@WEB includes multiple components for handling measured data. These components are structured to allow for high re-usability of core components like the communication with the ODS server or the import and export of data. In addition to these core components the project includes a web-based front-end.
The list of components includes:
- Search (Meta-Data)
- Search (Full-Text)
- Shopping Cart (for interaction with local tools)
- User Documentation
- Data Sharing
With the migration to open source development, the core functionality for measured data management solutions can be reused for different applications. Instead of expensive isolated solutions, new solutions can rely on the common framework.
We hope to encourage other manufacturers in the automotive industry to adopt the ODS standard for structured data management and to popularize our solution to other industries.
The name openMDM is currently registered to AUDI AG and therefore not used in the project itself until the necessary rights are available.
The following issues were found in the current code base:
- The ExcelExporter uses a library with an incompatible license. However, the module is not required and will therefore be omitted from the initial commit.
- JacORB is used for the communication with the ODS server and licensed under LGPL. A replacement has to be found for the initial commit.
- 01.07.2014 Initial commit of code base
- 01.08.2014 Establish automated build and deploy process
01.10.2014 Establish basis for integration tests
- Testing framework available
- Database mock available
- Next steps: Migrate CORBA interfaces, refactor dependent interfaces
Two main features are planned:
- The search functionality will be extended to allow for searching in the measured data itself rather than only searching for meta-data.
- Measurement data is commonly required by different departments or groups of people. The goal is to support the sharing of data from within the web client.