These are the goals of the API are as it described in the spec:
- Support binding (serialization and deserialization) for all RFC 7159-compatible JSON documents.
- JSON-related specifications will be surveyed to determine their relationship to JSON-Binding.
- Maintain consistency with JAXB (Java API for XML Binding) and other Java EE and SE APIs where appropriate.
- Define default mapping of Java classes and instances to JSON document counterparts.
- Allow customization of the default mapping definition.
- Default use of the APIs should not require prior knowledge of the JSON document format and specification.
- Define or enable integration with JSR 374: Java API for JSON Processing (JSON-P) 1.1.
The following are non-goals:
- The specification recommends, but does not require equivalence of content for deserialized and serialized JSON documents.
- Generation of JSON Schema from Java classes, as well as validation based on JSON schema.
- Support and integration with Lightweight JSON API as defined within JEP 198 is out of scope of this specification. Will be reconsidered in future specification revisions.