Traditionally the automotive industry was and still is centering around the hardware of vehicles and the corresponding hardware development and life-cycle management. Software, however, is gaining more and more importance in vehicle development and over the entire vehicle lifetime. Thus, the vehicle and its value to the customer is increasingly defined by software. This transition towards so-called software-defined vehicles changes the way how to innovate, how to code, how to deliver and how to work together. It is a change across the whole mobility value chain and life-cycle: from development and production to delivery and operations of the vehicle.
Eclipse Velocitas provides an end-to-end, scalable, modular and open source development toolchain for creating containerized and non-containerized in-vehicle applications. This will be conducted by bringing together contributors from the automotive industry, as well as tech players.
Eclipse Velocitas provides an end-to-end, scalable, modular and open source development toolchain for creating containerized and non-containerized in-vehicle applications.
Currently, the automotive industry is facing some revolutionary changes. This includes the clear trend towards electric vehicles as well as the rise of self-driving capabilities. One very important, yet often underestimated trend is the change in value creation from hardware-heavy to software-defined features and business models, towards so called software-defined vehicles.
This project tries to:
- contribute to amplify the trend towards software-defined vehicles by providing a development environment for in-vehicle applications that offers a comfortable, fast and efficient development experience
- pursue this goal in an open ecosystem with open source elements created by manifold players of the automotive industry and beyond in order to shape and boost open de-facto standards
- provide a center of gravity of next generation automotive development environments with a lively community of developers, stakeholders and users
The Eclipse SDV community aims to bring together the domains of automotive software, cloud-native and IoT. Eclipse Velocitas will contribute to the trend of bringing cloud-native and IoT technologies and principles into the automotive software industry. In doing so, it will not only use and support current Eclipse projects (like e.g. Eclipse Kuksa), but also draw attention of automotive players currently not active in the Eclipse community. The development environment created will be one pillar for building customized, proprietary as well as open-sourced ecosystems around the software-defined vehicle.
No legal issue, all committer agreed to publish under Apache License, Version 2.0
- Initial contribution expected by Q3 2022
- Release cycles are planned every 3-6 months
- Release planning will be conducted together with corresponding Eclipse projects
After open sourcing we plan to introduce the following
- Additional language support (e.g. C++, Rust, Go ...)
- Extend logging and monitoring to non local devices and/or environments