Reviews run for a minimum of one week. The outcome of the review is decided on this date. This is the last day to make comments or ask questions about this review.
The current consumer IoT and smart living market suffers under the commercial interests and competition of many companies, fighting for the “ownership” of customers and try to force proprietary ecosystems, leading to more fragmentation of consumer IoT solutions. Companies and developers want to integrate/interact with the mass of consumer IoT & smart living solutions but there is no normalized, future-proof link to connect and manage the smart living/C-IoT services. Developers and companies are therefor facing high integration efforts and interoperability challenges.
Accompanied by the large number of providers there are no common protocol standards. Alliances, standardization organizations or joint ventures try to bundle protocols and standards around consumer IoT and smart home services to cover a larger number of smart living solutions, but still developers or companies have to deal with a very heterogeneous landscape.
In fact, Industries want the highest coverage for their consumer IoT customers, but are restricted by partnerships which only cover smart living services of the partners network with strong limitations by competition, resulting in range and vendor lock-in. This has led to a highly fragmented market, which makes it also difficult for customers to choose a future proof solution. There wont be the one system, protocol or standard that could possibly fulfill all potential requirements. There is a need for platforms that allow the integration of different cloud based systems, protocols or standards and that enables a uniform way for integration, user interfaces and business services.
The origins of Yasham comes from the turkish word for living and stands for the mission of the project, which is to empower an open, flexible smart living and consumer IoT platform in a heterogenous consumer IoT world. The vision and philosophy behind the Eclipse Yasham project is related to the Eclipse IoT project Eclipse SmartHome and openHAB and takes those ideas and concepts to the cloud level, rather focusing on the embedded area. However Eclipse Yasham is not restricted to be a platform for Smart Home solutions and can be combined with other IoT gateway solutions.
Eclipse Yasham is a highly modular cloud native platform that interconnects a wide range of consumer IoT & smart home services via extensible cloud software adapters to abstract away the specific communication protocols & requirements of cloud based services by a simplified and generic integration model towards the Eclipse Yasham consumer IoT platform. The scope of the platform is mainly about the topics: Consumer IoT, Smart Home, Smart Building and Smart Living. The flexible and modular architecture of Eclipse Yasham will allow the usage of the platform in a Business-to-Consumer (B2C) or commercial Business-to-Business (B2B) deployment scenario
Eclipse Yasham is an Open & Extensible Cloud-Native Smart Living Platform for Consumer IoT.
Some features at a glance
- Server Side API Gateway (REST API)
- Service Registration and discovery
- Caching and Logging
- Authentication and Authorization
- Transport security and Request dispatching with transport transformation
- Load balancing
- Providing central endpoint for acquiring service data
- Notification Management
- Central management for notifications
- Mobile App notifications
- SMS & Email Notifications
- Alarming functionalities
- Cloud Adapters
- Central integration point for cloud-to-cloud integrations
- Adapters based design pattern (like Eclipse SmartHome Binding concept just for the cloud)
- Adapter template mechanism to “plug-in” into the Yasham platform
- Flexible and modular extension point to add new smart home, smart living solutions
- A programmable approach for smart living integrations
- Management of cloud-to-cloud connections
- Service Orchestration (Rules Engine)
- A fllexible, cloud based rule engine that allows to model complex scenarios
- Management and configuration of rules
- Pre-configured rules templates for easy adoption
- Trigger rules based on certain cloud or device events (e.g. time based)
Many Eclipse projects are widely used within the smart home and conusmer IoT industry. Eclipse Yasham will add value to the Eclipse community by enabling a consumer IoT ecosystem for smart living and smart home solutions. Yasham will also broaden the Eclipse ecosystem, which covers currently many IIoT (Industrial Internet of Things) projects. Therefor Eclipse Yasham will be a good extension to the Eclipse IoT domain, next to the related Eclipse SmartHome framework. The Eclipse Yasham project will benefit from the visibility in the community and an extended collaboration model with interested parties.
The target of Eclipse Yasham is to deliver a complete end-to-end consumer IoT (C-IoT) & smart living ecosystem. To achieve this in the IoT domain, there is the need to keep other cross concerns in mind, too. That's why Yasham is designed as a pluggable, modular platform and does not explicitly cover all related IoT concerns like connectivity and communication with devices, authentication and authorization, over the air updates for IoT gateway by itself. The main approach is to re-use and plug already existing Eclipse IoT projects into Eclipse Yasham to extend its use case for many possible scenarios, no matter if it is a consumer IoT solution for private or business customers.
Yasham could be combined with other Eclipse IoT projects to enable thie even more complete end-to-end platform as an ecosystem:
- Eclipse SmartHome as the natural choice for embedded and gateway related integration in the local network
- Eclipse Vert.X could serve as the main execution runtime for higher level business services
- Kura can be connected to the platform and act as IoT gateway solution
- Eclipse Hono as scalable device connectivity platform
- Eclipse Hawkbit for rolling out software updates for e.g. Kura or Eclipse SmartHome gateways
- Eclipse Kapua as integration foundational IoT framework
- Eclipse Keti as authentication and authorization service
The initial contribution of the Eclipse Yasham project will be in the first step the current source code of openHAB Cloud, the companion cloud service and backend for the openHAB open-source home automation software. The initial contribution will contain a ready-to-use cloud service.
- Source code for the initial Eclipse Yasham cloud platform
- Documentation of the main Features, Architecture and Concepts
- A working CI/CD Build System & Pipeline
- Test Automatisation (Unit and Integration)
- Kubernetes Deployment
Eclipse Yasham aims to finish the initial contribution around Q1/2019.
A first possible release is planned for Q2/2019, mainly based on the refactored initial contribution.
The futrue work will include continous platform improvement and releases. There will firscloud integrations contributed by home-iX in a later stage. Some parts of the platform (e.g. openHAB-cloud parts) are planned to be re-designed and re-written form NodeJS to Java/Eclipse Vert.X. The upcoming roadmap and timeline of Eclipse Yasham can be summarized as shown in this overview: