LocationTech GeoWave leverages the scalability of a distributed key-value store for effective storage, retrieval, and analysis of massive geospatial datasets.
Currently, GeoWave is an open source set of software that:
- Adds multi-dimensional indexing capability to Apache Accumulo, HBase and Cassandra as well as Google's BigTable and Amazon DynamoDB
- Adds support for geographic objects and geospatial operators to Apache Accumulo, HBase and Cassandra as well as Google's BigTable and Amazon DynamoDB
Contains a GeoServer plugin to allow geospatial data in Accumulo to be shared and visualized via OGC standard services
- Both raster and vector data models are supported
- Provides Map-Reduce input and output formats for distributed processing and analysis of geospatial data
- Provides a PDAL plugin for interacting with point cloud data in accumulo through the PDAL library.
In simplified terms, GeoWave currently attempts to do for Distributed Key-value stores as PostGIS does for PostgreSQL.