Eclipse Thym 1.0.0
Thym provides tools for Apache Cordova based Hybrid Mobile Application development. This is the first major release fo Thym.
With this release Thym will move out of incubation.
The project leadership certifies that the APIs in this release are "Eclipse Quality".
The Hybrid Mobile project delivers IDE components and a framework for developing Hybrid Mobile Applications on the Eclipse platform. The developed IDE components support the Apache Cordova framework.
Thym provides functionality compatible to command line tools from Apache Cordova project. The functionality is reimplemented as part of Thym in Java hence does not depend Cordova command line tools. This release supports the following platforms.
- iOS (XCode)
- Windows Phone
Thym provides an extensible framework to add support for new platforms. This is achieved through the extension points for
- Generating platform native projects
- Building platform projects
Although, having own implementation can provide some advantages especially when integrating with Eclipse IDE features, Thym can occasionally fall behind or even get broken with the frequent Cordova releases. The project aims to make frequent releases in order to compansate for these changes.
There are no known security issues.
GitHub is used for the daily development of Thym as well as the external contributions. Thym uses HIPP for builds.
Bugzilla is used for planning and bug tracking
Thym does not yet have localization/externalization.
To make it more convenient a contribution guide exists in both wiki and Github.
User documentation is limited. However, Cordova project is well documented, Thym relies on Cordova documentation for the concepts and utilizes screencasts to explain how they work while developing with Thym.
Thym aims to conform with Eclipse UI guidelines. We continously gather feedback and improve usability of our components. This effort lead to several iterations on
- Cordova plugin discover wizard
- New Cordova project wizard
No features or APIs are being end-of-life'd in this release.
The features of Thym closely follow the features of Apache Cordova project.
- 3 active committers from 2 organizations
- Eclipse market place listing for adoption community growth
- Presented at ApacheCon
- Several screencasts
- Forked 54 times on GitHub to date
- Thym committers and contributors also participate on the Apache Cordova project to coordinate the efforts. Thym project lead (Gorkem Ercan) is also a PMC member and a committer for Apache Cordova project.
- Thym is used by these tools to provide cross-platform mobile development