Eclipse WindowBuilder 1.7.0
Ensure that WindowBuilder works great with Eclipse 4.4
As the Luna simultaneous release is going to be based on Eclipse 4.4, WindowBuilder needs to work properly when installed as a feature in an Eclipse 4.4 IDE.
Better support for non-Java UI frameworks
WindowBuilder needs to provide better support creating creating non-Java UI frameworks. The core Java support is built into the core WindowBuilder libraries and needs to be extracted into its own plugin. This will leave the core WindowBuilder API agnostic to language and make it much easier to create UI builders for non-Java UI frameworks.
The WindowBuilder team needs to continue supporting users who wish to use WB to create their Swing and SWT user interfaces as well as developers wishing to use WB as a base for creating their own custom UI builders.
The project leadership certifies that the APIs in this release are "Eclipse Quality".
- There are no architectural issues for this project
- There are no security issues for this project
- 250+ pages of user documentation available as Eclipse Help or on-line
- Customization API doc available for adding new components to the palette
- Adding New Components
- SWT/RCP/Swing Databinding
- All strings externalized to resource files and localization ready (English resource files only)
WindowBuilder based tools widely used by >200K developers world wide since 2003
- SWT Designer released in 2003
- Swing Designer released in 2004
- GWT Designer released in 2006
- GWT Designer embedded in Google Plug-in for Eclipse (GPE)
- Swing Designer embedded in Embarcadero’s JBuilder
- Portions of WindowBuilder toolkit used in Google’s ADT UI tools
- Eclipse Magazin (Germany) Reader’s Choice Award in 2006 for “Best Eclipse-Based Commercial Software Solution”
- Eclipse Community Award in 2009 for “Best Commercial Eclipse Development Tool”
- No features were removed
- No API was deprecated or removed
- WindowBuilder requires Java 6 or later
- Supports SWT, RCP, eRCP, XWT and Swing
- Supports Swing JSR 295 and 296
- Active committers from Google (3) and Instantiations (2)
- Bugzilla is in active use by users and contributors.
Eclipse WindowBuilder forum very active
- 86 threads and 270 posts since Kepler
- Committers active in most threads
- Lots of questions about how to extend the tool
- WindowBuilder framework in use by:
- Google – GWT Designer, Android ADT UI tools
- Embarcadero – UI Builder in JBuilder
- Unnamed Cell Phone Manufacturer – UI design tool for proprietary UI toolkit
- Open source Android Designer