Eclipse Enterprise Tools for the OSGi Service Platform
This project will be focused on providing standard tools for OSGi Enterprise application development. This will happen in two directions:
- Tools that integrate the existing WTP tooling and PDE tooling in a way that OSGi Enterprise application can be developed with both tooling at the same time.
- Tools for better user experience in the Server-Side Equinox scenario.
- Tools for creation of deployable artifacts for application servers implementing the OSGi Enterprise specification, e.g. wizard for creating new Web Application Bundle projects.
- Tools for converting existing Java EE deployable artifacts to OSGi Enterprise deployable artifacts, e.g. wizard for converting Dynamic Web projects to a Web Application Bundle projects.
- Tools for editing and validation of the metadata of OSGi Enterprise artifacts, e.g. extension of the PDE Manifest Editor for editing manifest headers that are specific to Web Application Bundles.
- OSGi server adapter, providing basic implementation of configuring an OSGi-based application server, starting it and deploying OSGi enterprise artifacts. This server adapter should be customizable and extensible by adopters.
- Tools that improve the experience of developing Server-Side Equinox applications.
- Extensibility of the tools in scope, so adopters can extend them for their own application model.
Out of scope:
- Application models that extend and/or are in conflict with the OSGi Enterprise specification.
- Any tools that are replacement of existing tooling in the WTP and PDE projects. If WTP and PDE tooling have any limitations, then these limitations will be addressed in the corresponding projects. This project will do the best effort to extend the currently available tooling. In certain cases it would be acceptable to incubate new ideas in this project as proof of concept and then hand them over to the corresponding PDE or WTP subproject when agreement is already in place.