This project is active since 2004; a number of members of the Eclipse Science Working Group demonstrated a strong interest in the project and the project could be useful to other projects that require integration with the R language.
StatET provides an Eclipse-based integrated development environment for the R language and in order to do so also develops components for the integration of R and Java. All typical views and editors required for an R IDE are in scope. Other statistical programming languages are out of scope for this project.
StatET is an Eclipse-based IDE for R.
It offers a set of mature tools for R coding and package building. This includes
- a fully integrated R console
- R script editors
- an integrated R Graphics view
- an object browser to explore the objects R has in memory
- an integrated R Help system
- functionality to interact with multiple local and remote installations of R
- a visual debugger for R
- editors and document processing support for Sweave/knitr and Rmarkdown documents
- support for running R CMD tools as External launch configurations
StatET is currently the most powerful and flexible environment for doing professional R development. It is entirely based on Eclipse technology and therefore naturally fits with hosting at the Eclipse Foundation.
Regarding trademarks: the project has always been known as StatET, but no formal trademark has been registered.
Regarding the license of the code: the majority of the code has been licensed under EPL v1.0. Minor parts are licensed under Apache 2.0 and under LGPL, since these were based on (and extend) preexisting code licensed under these licenses. As far as we know, all dependencies of the project have licenses that are accepted for Eclipse Science Working group projects.
R is an exempt prerequisite: it is licensed under GPLv2 or GPLv3 and will not be distributed with StatET.
|ECommons (Shared Packages)||EPL|
|DocMLET (TeX and Wikitext/Commonmark)||EPL|
|EUtils (AutoRun, AutoNature, YAML)||EPL|
|RJ-Core: Data, Server, Client||EPL+LGPL (dual license)|
|RJ-Core: R packages (rj, rj.gd)||LGPL|
|RJ-Servi||EPL, ASL||ASL = contains a modified version of Apache Commons Pool, I guess it can be replaced by the latest version of Commons Pool as separated dependency.|
|Eclipse Platform, JDT, EMF, Mylyn||EPL|
|Apache Commons Pool, DBCP, Primitives||ASL|
|Apache Lucene Core, Analysis, QueryParser, Highlighter||ASL||with additions to Highlighter|
|SnakeYAML||ASL||with additions (Custom(izable) YAML scanner CScannerImpl)|
- initial contribution: within one month after acceptance of the proposal
- first build: within one and a half month after acceptance of the proposal
- first release: within two months after acceptance of the proposal
Functionality expected to be added:
- improve the debugger functionality (better step-in, step-out behaviour)
- improve graphics device (line endings)
- auto-import of R projects (following recently added functionality in Neon)
- support of reference classes in the editors, object browser etc.
- copy/paste functionality from data viewers
- add profiler, memory profiler
- code coverage tooling based on participation in the R Consortium Code Coverage working group
- regular presentations of the project status at Eclipse conferences
- series of blog posts to cover all current functionality (targeting both channels in the Eclipse community and channels in the R community)
- tutorials at R conferences and statistics conferences (e.g. UseR!2017 in Brussels, Belgium)